I’m super excited to have been nominated to participate in the Liebster Award by Jillian. I also love the timing – the day I finished “getting into the details” of my 15 Goals for 2015 🙂 Serendipity!
From what I can tell, the Liebster Award is shared amongst the blogging community to bloggers just starting out with fewer than 200 followers. Love it! I must give 11 random facts about myself, answer the 11 questions from the nominator, and then nominate a few other bloggers. I can totally do this.
11 Fun Facts About Me
- I have three dogs and would love to have more if they didn’t drive me so crazy.
- My husband and I dated for nine years before we got married. We were both gun-shy from harsh first marriages.
- I didn’t have a “real” job until I was 32, because we moved so much for my husband’s job.
- I love to travel but I’m sickeningly afraid of flying. This = lots of road trips (or xanax + champagne, lol).
- I went to school in NYC and will always love it, but I know I am a Southern girl through and through. I just feel “right” here.
- I loathed sports until I went to business school. I swear it changed my brain! Since I got my MBA, I have become an obsessive football and basketball fan, as well as a runner and a gym rat.
- I love buffalo-flavored anything. Have you ever tried buffalo cauliflower “wings“? Amazing!
- I call my parents every day. I’ve always been really independent, so it’s not an attachment or dependence thing. I just like to say hi and I want to make sure they’re ok since they’re in their 70s now.
- I have a Pinterest addiction. Now if only I would do something with all that (p)inspiration…
- I also have a magazine addiction. Retro, huh? I have had as many as 10 subscriptions at a time! This totally conflicts with my eco-friendly/green lifestyle (I drive a Prius and recycle EVERYTHING). Currently I’m doing really well and only have two subscriptions 🙂
- I am a very proud aunt to two nieces and one little nephew. They own my heart.
And now, the 11 questions from Jillian!
- Do you want kids? If you already have them, did you always know you wanted them? This is a great question! I actually don’t want kids, which is good because my husband had a vasectomy before we met. (He’s about 15 years older than I am). He was always up front with me about not wanting any more children, so I knew what I was getting into. The truth is, I’m kind of grateful for the lack of choice. While motherhood has never appealed to me, I just assumed I would have kids. It’s just what you did! So I’m glad it never came down to that, because I don’t think I would be a good mom. On the one hand, I’m an insane worrier, and on the other, I’m just not a caregiver. I do have three stepkids, and I’m an aunt of three, so I think that’s plenty for me.
- How did you choose your blog name? You know what, I don’t remember how I came up with Gin is My Comfort Food. I just remember that it was in my head and I thought it was funny. Also, it’s pretty true for me. Booze makes it better 😉
- Do you have any pets? I do! Two Chihuahuas and a Min Pin. I love them and they’re wonderful but they’re also a total pain in the ass. I can’t imagine a home without dogs.
- Do you think it’s smart to blog on a set schedule? This is tough. On the one hand, it’s important to have routine and hold yourself accountable. On the other hand, as a creative pursuit, you don’t want to force it. I think it’s important to blog regularly, at least a couple times a week, so it stays fresh in your mind and becomes a habit.
- What do you think your best feature is (yes, you have to be positive and pick one)? Physical or psychological? Physically, I like that I have a small frame, even if sometimes there is too much weight on it. Emotionally, I appreciate my logical brain/my ability to make quick sense of things.
- How do you feel about iPhones? I looooove smartphones. But I’m definitely not an Apple person. I think they have done genius things with branding and exclusivity and loyalty. As a marketing person, I totally respect them. But I had an iPhone and I returned it for another Android. I freaking love my Samsung Galaxy. I am totally a Google nerd.
- Do you have a recurring dream? Yes! It varies slightly but is always a theme around grad school. Either I totally forgot all semester about a class and the final is tomorrow, or I thought I had enough credits to graduate but I actually have to take three more classes. I don’t know why I dream this because school is probably what I’m best at. I miss school!
- What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever done? Well, I hate flying, so every time I get on a plane, I feel like that’s it. Otherwise, it’s a tie between ziplining (which turned out to be amazing!) and being an “expert” on a panel for my industry.
- What’s your favorite television show? Until this season, I would have said ‘Girls.’ But so far I’m not digging season 4 L I’ll say ‘Top Chef.’
- Do you work out? Yes! I never did anything athletic until I turned 30, and then I was like, well, better move it or lose it. Since then I’ve had an on and off affair with running. I’ve been sticking with it pretty well for the last couple of years though. I also do weight lifting a couple of times a week, go hiking when the weather’s decent, and have bouts with hot yoga. It’s so important to me to stay active as I get older!
- Do you believe in astrology? This is tough. Not really, but a little? I don’t believe so much in people having all the traits of a particular sign, but I do feel like Mercury-in-retrograde affects us, as does the Moon cycles… Whether or not it’s true, it’s super fun to read my horoscope.
I’m enjoying reading about her financial and decluttering goals, and I also like that she totally keeps it real.
Booze reviews and recipes – and drinking adventures from down under!
First, love the name. Second, great travel writing. Third, amazing photos.
Because he’s badass. Go see!
For the nominees, below are my 11 questions for you, should you wish to participate in the Liebster Award. I look forward to learning more!
- Why did you start blogging?
- What is your dream vacation?
- How do you deal with stress?
- What’s your favorite drink?
- Do you believe in ghosts?
- Are you happy with your current job?
- What’s your favorite quirky trait of yours?
- Do you have any tattoos?
- What advice would you give your younger self?
- Who is your hero?
- Who do you write for?
Oh my gosh, this was the longest post ever. But it’s been fun!